I want to take a moment to be thankful.
It’s not Thanksgiving yet, I’m aware. But I think it’s important to write these thoughts down, or better yet, say them out loud. Even though I say “thank you” to people on an ongoing basis, I feel like it’s different than setting aside time to really think about all the ways that I’ve been the grateful recipient of others’ time, consideration, support and love.
Here’s a list, in no particular order.
I am thankful for:
- An amazing best friend, cheerleader, crying shoulder, hugger and thought partner that is my fiance Mike. I honestly don’t think I would’ve embarked on this journey were it not for his encouragement and acceptance. It’s been an emotional rollercoaster but I am tasting, for probably the first time, the pure joy of striving for my best at what I love. So thank you for allowing me to do that and for being my Paula Abdul when I pull a Simon Cowell on myself.
- My parents who are learning to let go. It’s been hard for my parents to accept my recent decisions. I’ve always been so close to them. To say “no” to what they think is best for me took a lot of determination on my part and took a lot of acceptance on theirs. Though we still don’t talk about the particulars of what I do with my time, they have really made a conscious effort to give me space to learn and grow. A large part of my motivation, aside from making something of what I love, is to make them proud.
- My friends from near and far who have supported me through actions and not just words. It’s really easy to just say “oh you’re doing such a nice job.” I cannot appreciate enough those friends who challenge me to do things better and think bigger. It’s nice when your friends light a fire under your seat and get you going when you’re stumped or immersed in too much self contentment.
- My customers. Thanks for taking a leap of faith in someone you don’t know. I’ve been lucky enough to make connections across the US and even in Japan and Australia! A large part of what I love about jewelry is its ability to connect people and its ability to move people. I hope to touch more folks around the world through my work. And i will never forget my first supporters.
- New York. I’m so thankful that I live in this city filled with sources of inspirations. To think that I could just step out, hop on the subway and visit dozens of museums, neighborhoods and parks just fills me with the joy of possibilities. I really should take more advantage of my playground and let it seep into the details of my creations.
I’m sure there are lots more that I can be thankful for but I think this is a good start.
Have a great weekend everyone and don’t forget to take a moment and say your thanks. =)